Staff Software Engineer, Web Team
Welcome to Web. This team is responsible for the face and functionality of Zendesk.com. We’re a family of weirdly wonderful full stack web engineers that work closely with designers, marketers, product engineers, and analysts. We focus on new customers and function as a little think tank that researches, develops, and improves the website user experience and infrastructure. We’re looking for a talented web engineer to work across the primary brand site (zendesk.com), and the 20+ international sites serving markets across the globe.
As a Web Engineering Lead, you will manage a small team of talented engineers, developing their careers and monitoring progress towards meeting our business objectives. As a data-driven leader who champions testing and optimization on the web, you will explore the latest technologies in web development and deployment – introducing them into our infrastructure as needed. Our front-end build system, deploy pipeline, and cloud infrastructure are your babies that will grow and evolve with your care. This position requires a “maker” mindset. You are deeply passionate about web engineering and love to craft delightful end-to-end experiences. You should be comfortable with building out projects to spec and wiring business logic while keeping a keen eye towards stability and security.
Attributes we’re looking for
- The humble team player: You may be an amazingly brilliant coding “rockstar” from the Kingdom of I-don’t-care-about-anybody-but-me, but guess what? You’re just a smelly human. Once you start to believe that you know everything, you’ll stop allowing yourself to learn from others. Don’t be that person. We can’t stand that person.
- The prankster: Besides delivering great work, we rarely take anything seriously.. especially ourselves. This enables us to remain stress free despite any tight deadlines that we may face.
- Mz. or Mr. Honesty: We’re pretty direct with one another. We keep each other humble (see humility definition above) and joke around a bunch (see humor definition above) but we also ensure that we keep the conversation honest and open so that when something looks off or is headed in the wrong direction you won’t hesitate to speak up.
- The unshakable optimist: Failing is part of growing and experimenting. Push the boundaries and you may fall flat on your face. But if you can’t see the rainbows through the failure foliage, you’ll struggle much more than you need to.
- The communicator: “Ur code sux.” That phrase is not helpful, ’nuff said.
What you get to do every day
- Maintain and improve the build, deployment, and developer tooling systems to support the website
- Maintain and iterate on our secure, high scalability, high reliability web architecture to support high volume of global visitors
- Proactively seek out and find solutions for minimizing pain points within the infrastructure and code base
- Champion best practices, high quality code, and proper test coverage. We ship code frequently and fast, but stability and reliability must never be compromised!
- Manage a small team of talented back-end engineers, and collaborate closely with an equally talented team of front-end engineers
- Solve complex technical problems with beautifully simple solutions
- Mentor and guide team members by reviewing their code submissions, code pairing, and being a sounding board
- Explore latest technologies in web development and deployment, and introduce them into our infrastructure as needed
- Build relationship with the broader engineering org to collaborate on services integrations such as account creation, abuse mitigations, and reliability
What you bring to the role
- 3+ years experience as an engineering manager or tech lead
- Demonstrable experience building and scaling web engineering teams
- Git & Github experience, comfortable handling complex merges with frequent regularity
- Exposure to and experience with the following server-side languages or similar: NodeJS, PHP Expert knowledge of CSS preprocessors / SASS
- Expert knowledge of JS, including ES6 and upcoming features in ES2017
- Deep understanding of web technology services and stacks including but not limited to Nginx, Redis, MySQL, PaaS vendors (Heroku & AWS experience a plus), CDNs (CloudFlare experience a plus), DNS
- Experience with automation tools for testing and deployment (Selenium / PhantomJS), task runner systems (Grunt / Gulp / Webpack), package management systems
- Expert knowledge of performance optimization and how it impacts user behavior and conversionExperience with multilingual websites and globally distributed publishing
- Self-driven, detail oriented, diplomatic – you can keep all things moving while delivering great work
- A relevant college degree or a good reason for not having one
The best customer experiences are built with Zendesk. Zendesk’s powerful and flexible customer service and engagement platform scales to meet the needs of any business, from startups and small businesses to growth companies and enterprises. Zendesk serves businesses across a multitude of industries, with more than 100,000 paid customer accounts offering service and support in more than 30 languages. Headquartered in San Francisco, Zendesk operates worldwide with 15 offices in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk’s Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com