Director of Engineering, Platform
VTS is the modern platform for CRE revenue teams
VTS is the fastest-growing Proptech company in the history of commercial real estate (CRE). We have transformed a $15 trillion dollar industry with our award-winning platform which is used to manage over 60% of all office buildings. We’re continuing to expand our product offerings and are building the industry’s first and only online marketing software and end-to-end leasing marketplace, VTS Market. VTS Market will enable landlords to market their available spaces more effectively, and help tenant rep brokers and their tenants easily find and lease space online – a process that has traditionally been offline and difficult.
It’s an exciting time to join the VTS team – we recently reached unicorn status after raising $90 million in series D funding led by our clients (believed to be the largest venture financing in the history of commercial real estate software), we recently made the Forbes Cloud 100 list of the hottest private cloud companies, and were named one of Crain’s best places to work!
Our headquarters are in NYC, but we have hubs in other major US cities, Toronto, CA, and London, UK.
Learn more at vts.com or follow us on Instagram (@WeAreVTS), Twitter (@WeAreVTS), or LinkedIn.
How does this position help VTS succeed?
As a leader within the engineering team, you’ll help translate our vision of accelerating the way landlords and tenants plan, market, lease, and manage space. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you will lead the platform engineering organization which is responsible for building foundational elements of our multi-product platform. As such, you will:
- Partner with Product, Engineering, and Design (PED) leadership to drive the evolution of our platform architecture, enabling development teams to sustainably deliver differentiating innovation to our users and drive business growth.
- Drive a system architecture and processes that enables product teams to develop internationalized products
- Scale user experience frameworks across the platform to be seamless and delightful
- Own software delivery for the platform engineering org by reinforcing agile best practices, doubling down on what works well, and identifying areas for improvement
- Recruit, develop, and mentor a mix of new and seasoned technical leaders and staff/senior engineers for platform engineering org
- Ensure efficient agile delivery and high-quality developer experience at VTS via investments in shared infrastructure, design systems, and developer tooling (CI/CD, build system, etc)
- Reinforce a DevOps culture (“you shipped it, you own it”) across VTS engineering with investment in tools and processes relating to alerting, instrumentation, observability, SLA attainment, etc
- Refine key operational processes (e.g., DevOps rotation, postmortems, incident management, dependency updates) and ensure a high standard of overall system availability
- Ensure critical business and customer data is protected by information security best practices and key processes, including regular security retrospectives, annual pen tests, SOC2 compliance
- Manage relationships with platform vendors, including evaluation and selection, capacity planning, cost management, and contract negotiation
- Contribute to a culture of engineering excellence at VTS by owning and/or partnering with the CTO, VP Engineering, and other PED leaders on the key initiatives spanning recruiting, budgeting/planning, career pathing, internal communication, and learning and development.
What makes you a great fit?
- Ability to thrive in a high-growth environment requiring a high degree of autonomy and responsibility
- Proven track record of leading platform engineering organizations that support multiple products
- Passion for data and metrics-driven engineering leadership using frameworks such as DevOps Research and Assessment (DORA)
- Several years of experience coaching and supporting engineering managers and principal/staff engineers, ideally in a distributed team environment
- Capable of building effective partnerships with leaders in other disciplines, and representing engineering concerns in cross-functional contexts
- Deep technical expertise and maturity to add value to technical discussions and decision making
- Driven by solving customer needs through cross-functional partnership
- Have a playbook for scaling platform teams to support fast-growing application teams
Nice to haves:
- Experience leading a multi-product platform engineering team
- Experience in full-stack development (Ruby on Rails and React)
- Experience in establishing application and data services
More about our team:
- We have a 70+ person engineering team
- We work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA, grouped in outcome-oriented “houses”
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on automated testing and CI
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- We work with technologies like Ruby on Rails, React, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Swift, Android, Python, and Kafka
- Learn more on our engineering blog
What VTS values & how we show it:
- Strive for Excellence – We know your potential is unlimited. Take advantage of our executive coaches and our training and career development programs available to all employees!
- Be Customer Obsessed – We’re employee obsessed too! VTS offers competitive compensation, comprehensive health benefits (including dental and vision), pre-tax commuter benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Not to mention the fun stuff – monthly happy hours, wellness events, clubs, and team lunches!
- Be Curious – Benefit from a culture that promotes new learning. VTS offers an education stipend to all employees!
- Move as One – We work in an open floor plan to promote cross-functional collaboration
- Take Ownership – Be an owner of the company you’re building with our equity packages
- Appreciate the Difference – VTS embraces and celebrates diversity. We understand the importance of a strong work-life balance. We offer a flexible PTO policy, generous family leave program, and more!
VTS embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.