Junior Rails Developer
Join Sweeten, a fast growing, award-winning tech company based in New York City and founded by three trained architects. Our co-founder and CEO, Jean Brownhill, is a trained architect, and one of 26 black women identified by Vanity Fair as having raised over $1M in VC funding. We’re a team of super ambitious and fun people who are fascinated by construction, design, and tech—and we’re building the go-to marketplace for major renovations.
Our engineering team develops the platform that helps renovators meet construction professionals who are the best fit for the work. We’re hiring for a developer to join the crew. Our ideal developer has a passion for beautiful products and has built applications at scale. We’re looking for someone who loves their craft, wants to apply their talents at a company that values creativity and problem-solving, and brings an innate sense of curiosity to solve long-standing industry challenges and build a system that has never existed before.
Renovating is a big and complex undertaking, and many of our customers are first-time renovators. Our new developer will support our team in launching products that make the process easier, more accessible, and more exciting for people who are thinking about doing a major renovation. We also believe in our general contractors, investing in their potential with world-class business development and marketing tools that get more renovations completed successfully. In addition, our tech team serves our own employees with responsive product designs and tools that help us all get great work done at increasing scale. Sweeten’s tech is ultimately people-focused, and we’re looking for a new team member who wants to be a part of this big picture.
- Collaborate with teammates to build, test, and maintain platform features.
- Work with colleagues across the company to develop new and improved platform products.
- Deeply understand colleague roles and business processes to find places where product and tech features can help our renovators, experts, and team members do their jobs more easily and elegantly.
- Innovate fearlessly while looking for ways to keep things simple.
- Put scalability and efficiency top of mind while hustling to get needed improvements out the door.
- Consider ways we can test, track, measure, and optimize across systems.
- Provide technical estimates and evaluate specs in order to create an efficient product and development process.
- Perform code reviews for peers to ensure best practices and a scalable system.
- Identify and fix bugs on the website (both as an individual and as a collaborator).
- Learn the ins and outs of Sweeten code to produce holistic code and keep technical debt low.
- 1+ year Ruby on Rails experience
- proficiency in PostgreSQL or MySQL
- proficiency in test-driven development with RSpec, Capybara, Jasmine
- proficiency using Git, Continuous Integration, Heroku, AWS, etc.
- ability to independently manage time and many moving pieces in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- passion for or interest in learning about design, real estate, and renovation
- strong communication and problem-solving skills
- a relentless drive and a collaborative spirit
We offer competitive compensation, exciting growth opportunities, fully-funded health plans, 401(k) options, fly Sweeten swag (all designed in-house), and weekly catered team lunches. Sweeten deeply values diversity and individuality, and is committed to creating a work environment where creativity, ideas, interests, and varied perspectives are valued and central to the success of our team. If you’re interested in joining our team, hit “apply for this job” on the bottom of this page (https://www.workable.com/j/82CC416910), and fill out the brief form. Be sure to include a cover letter that lets us know why this position sounds like a great fit for you and how you’ll succeed at Sweeten.