Senior Software Engineer – User Systems & Data
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service.
Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with over 193 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments. Behind the billions of joyful hours of viewing is a Netflix team responsible for identifying, authenticating and authorizing these users and devices. As Netflix grows, we are expanding our team to address the increased demands for member identity and access management features.
The User Systems & Data team builds and operates services and APIs to manage customer identity, and user data at Netflix scale. We securely identify and authenticate users, propagate that identity for use by services to authorize access, and provide real-time, low-latency access to member data to help services deliver a personalized user experience. Our services and data enable data scientists to make relevant data-driven decisions during a member’s lifecycle, while complying with legal and security guidelines. We are successful in how we scale our systems with utmost capacity, efficiency and availability to support business growth and enable our internal partners to innovate quickly.
As part of our team, you will design, develop and evolve systems to manage critical user identity for hundreds of millions of users around the world. You will build systems to grapple with Netflix’s ever-growing scale, and work on some of the highest rps services. You will create solutions and platforms that act as a foundation for hundreds of microservices at Netflix to rest upon. You will scale data stores to handle tens of billions of rows. You will help ensure that the data we are entrusted to protect are secure, yet accessible to appropriate systems, which are key to creating a personalized experience for every member. This opportunity will allow you to deliver tremendous impact by solving problems that span broad and diverse domains across Netflix.
- Address complex architectural problems with simple, intuitive designs
- Work across all phases of the software development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, testing, deployment, operations and support)
- Design meaningful and intuitive APIs for user data management and access
- Implement flexible data models to capture user and device data
- Ensure data quality, security and privacy via data hygiene and lifecycle management
- Innovate rapidly to evolve systems and support the delivery of new, highly impactful features for key user experiences
- Collaborate effectively with teammates, technical partners and stakeholders
- Envision the future landscape of identity and access management services and make informed bets about strategic investments in the space
- Communicate technical ideas and direction in cross-functional settings
- Have sharp attention to detail and openness to critique through code and design reviews
- Perform opportunistic code refactoring (you are comfortable changing tires on a moving vehicle)
We are looking for someone with skills & experience in:
- Designing high scale fault tolerant distributed systems
- Java, C#, or C++ or object oriented design and programming skills
- Writing scalable web services – gRPC experience a bonus
- Data modeling (e.g., JSON/XML/protobuf)
Even better if you have experience with any of:
- User identity and authentication services
- Role-based authorization services
- Data lifecycle management
- Cloud based architectures (AWS/Azure/GCP) at scale
- Distributed key-value persistence store environment
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.