Senior Software Engineer, Product Notifications
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service.
Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with over 167 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
The Messaging Engineering team at Netflix creates & delivers multi-channel messaging experiences for customers and partners in the Netflix Product and Studio ecosystems. The team owns the platform, applications, channels, and messages that enables Netflix to communicate with its customers and partners.
We are an experimentation focussed product development team. We experiment on outbound messaging channels such as Email, Push, Messaging Apps, and the browser to name a few. The team also owns in-product notifications on all Netflix devices. We experiment on messaging experiences in the Notification Center and elsewhere within the product.
You can read more details on some of the work the team has done on the Messaging Engineering @ Netflix site.
As a Senior Software Engineer in Product on the Messaging Team, you will be responsible for innovation of the Netflix Product through notifications using in-app and outbound messaging channels. You will implement experiments, build features, deploy systems, and be responsible for the end-to-end execution of projects. You will partner with stakeholders from product management, design, data science, consumer insights, and engineering from teams across many functions at Netflix. You will collaborate with UI engineers who work on the Netflix app on Android, iOS, Website, and TV. You will work with engineers on a variety of backend services from core membership services such as billing, payments, accounts, to content focused services such as artwork, metadata, and personalization.
- Experience in developing consumer facing applications through experimentation techniques like A/B Testing
- Experience in building highly scalable fault tolerant distributed systems in cloud-based architectures (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Solid experience in Java and other object oriented languages
- Experience writing SQL queries on big data platforms (SparkSQL, Presto, Hive, etc)
- Experience with designing intuitive and extensible APIs for multiple external clients
Nice To Have Skills
- Previous experience in building large-scale, highly resilient gRPC services
- Development experience with Spring and SpringBoot
- Prior experience in mobile server and client development on Android or iOS
- Experience building backend systems to power frontend experiences
- You are diligent, thoughtful, and articulate. You have great oral and written communication skills and can communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- You can work across all phases of the software development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, testing, deployment, operations and support)
- You can make wise choices and take smart risks when dealing with ambiguous requirements. Once you have context, you can figure out how to solve problems on your own.
- You are proactive and can move fast or pivot to meet the changing needs of the product
- You enjoy problem solving and can use everything from big-data to command line tools to help you identify and fix issues
- You are passionate about product development and you enjoy the independence of managing projects on your own
We are remote inclusive and our culture is unique. We tend to live by our values, so it’s worth learning more about Netflix here. Apply to talk to us to see if this product development role on a small, impactful, and collaborative team is right for you.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.