Senior Backend Engineer, Growth & Acquisition
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service.
Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with over 195 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. As a global household brand we strive to bring joy to users by connecting them with stories and artists, through a delightful and high-quality experience. We are looking for stellar software engineers to join our team and help us on our journey to entertain hundreds of millions of customers worldwide.
The Growth Product Engineering team is comprised of experienced engineers who are responsible for building highly scalable systems to bring new users to Netflix. We play a critical role in the long-term success of Netflix with a measurable and direct impact on global revenue and subscriber growth. If the prospect of helping Netflix triple subscribers globally is exciting, then this is the right role for you.
As a backend engineer on this team, you will build the business logic and protocols that allow our UI partners to build lightweight and flexible flows for the web, smart TVs, and mobile devices. We like to experiment constantly, which means we are continually A/B testing our user acquisition and retention through experiments in the sign-up and on-boarding funnels. You will develop Java-based microservices and work with many services and underlying technologies core to our product.
Does this sound like something you’d like to do? Awesome, let’s talk specifics.
Who else is on the team?
- Haoran Liu and John Kaczor are helping us refine Netflix’s global sign-up conversion across the web, mobile and TV for new and returning customers.
- Noah Bouillon and Ramneet Bhatia are working on advanced features to keep our customers’ accounts safe and easy to use.
- Nick Estorga and Eric Eiswerth work on projects to help our users discover and try out Netflix for the first time, such as content sampling, referrals program and free trial offer.
- Mamal Poladia supports global pricing and tiering changes on the backend. She also helped introduce a new low-cost, mobile-only plan in India.
- Pushkar Modi joined Netflix in August 2019 and gets to lead this dream team.
What do we need from you?
- You have more than 7 years of experience crafting robust, high-scale, distributed systems in production environments
- You love driving real business impact by applying your software engineering and analytical skills
- You are passionate about leading initiatives and collaborating across Data Science, Design, Engineering and Product teams
- You are highly motivated to deliver high quality solutions quickly and without mentorship
- You can communicate effectively in written or verbal form
- Your co-workers think of you as someone who is kind and does excellent work
What are some nice to haves?
- You have optimized a consumer facing product through A/B tests
- You have worked in Java or other JVM languages, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Kafka, Hive or AWS
- You are proficient with RESTful API design and implementation
- You understand what being on-call means and can resolve production outages independently
- You have experience working in the Growth domain and especially in EMEA or LATAM
- You have a Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science or a related field
Netflix is an equal opportunity employer and strives to build diverse teams from all walks of life. We offer a unique culture of freedom and responsibility with a clear long-term view. We recommend reading through these to understand what working at Netflix and on this team is like.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.