Senior Data Scientist
Website KoBold Metals
About the company
KoBold Metals is a mineral exploration company that uses machine learning and other scientific computing techniques to increase the ethical supply of critical materials (i.e., Ni, Co, Cu, Li, Pt, and Pd) needed to build electric vehicles and renewable energy storage. Many new mines will be needed if electric vehicles are to become widespread, but before new ore deposits can be mined, they must be found.
KoBold is the first full-stack exploration company. We combine the world’s top mineral explorers with an outstanding team of data scientists and software engineers to bring a comprehensive skill set to bear on exploration. Our technology has been built from scratch by alumni of top Silicon Valley software companies to guide every aspect of mineral exploration as well as mine development and operations. Our team consists of dozens of PhDs in physics, math, materials science, and geophysics, as well as top mineral explorers who collectively have >300 years of exploration experience and have made nearly 20 discoveries.
Our data platform, TerraShed™, aggregates and structures vast collections of scientific data. And Machine Prospector™, our suite of algorithms, interrogates that data with a range of techniques—from computer vision, to full-physics joint inversions, to ensemble machine learning—to make statistically rigorous predictions of the composition of the subsurface.
The careful use of statistics is an essential component of exploration and mine development given the data’s inherent uncertainty, and Machine Prospector™ rigorously quantifies how new data will decrease prediction uncertainty. These predictive models are used to guide our decisions of where to acquire land, what field data to collect, and where to drill to discover new ore deposits.
KoBold Metals is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Equinor.
About the position
In this role, you will build predictive models and apply a wide range of scientific computing, statistical, and physics-based methods to find places where there is evidence of ore-forming processes at work and to predict the locations of ore-grade mineralization in 2D and 3D. You will help build a worldwide dataset that underlies our exploration program, with careful attention to identifying and quantifying uncertainty in the data and in our predictions. You will be creating models and developing software to accelerate discovery of critical battery metals.
You will join an outstanding team of data scientists and engineers and will work closely with KoBold’s world-renowned geoscientists to incorporate our best understanding of the chemical and physical processes that create ore deposits. Working with your geoscience colleagues, you will create 2D and 3D geologic predictions, identify exploration targets, design field programs to collect data, and use that data to reduce the uncertainty in our predictions and guide the next phase of field work.
Ultimately, your role is to help KoBold make valuable discoveries by building data tools to solve scientific problems. As one of the early members of this team, you will help build these tools from the ground up.
The Senior Data Scientist will:
- Help develop KoBold’s proprietary software exploration tools called Machine Prospector™
- Find and curate a wide variety of geophysical, geochemical, geologic, and geographic data from around the world, and integrate it in TerraShed™, KoBold’s proprietary data store
- Build models to make statistically valid predictions about the locations of compositional anomalies within the Earth’s crust
- Create effective visualizations for evaluating model performance and enabling rapid interaction with the underlying data and key features
- Develop and apply a range of data processing, statistical, and physics-based techniques to geoscientific data — from computer vision to geophysical inversions — and use the results to guide our targeting efforts and inform our acquisition and exploration decisions
- Present to and collaborate with our external partners and stakeholders
A great Senior Data Scientist candidate will have:
Technical skills, including extensive experience with:
- Python, including both data science packages and general software development
- Collaborative software development (git), and familiarity with Python software engineering best practices like unit test / integration test suites, and CICD pipelines
- SQL, as well as familiarity with non-relational databases
- Cloud computing resources
- Building a wide variety of predictive models, applying them to different problems, and evaluating and interpreting the results
- Working with a broad range of types of data and the inconsistencies and measurement errors that arise from field and laboratory measurements of physical properties
- Geospatial analyses and visualizations
- Broad skills in and knowledge of applied statistics
- Substantial understanding of Machine Learning algorithms
Training and work experience:
- An advanced degree in the physical sciences, engineering, computer science, or mathematics. Candidates with backgrounds in chemistry, geochemistry, or chemical engineering are especially encouraged to apply
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience (including advanced degree training)
Work practices and motivation:
- The ability to work well with technical and scientific experts who aren’t software people
- Excitement about joining a fast-growing early-stage company, comfort with a dynamic work environment, and eagerness to take on a range of responsibilities
- Enjoyment in getting the details right
It is also helpful but not required to have experience with:
- Creating machine learning models on geospatial data
- Image processing or computer vision
- Distributed computing applications for machine learning and other computations
- Containerization solutions
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Location: Remote from any location in the US or Canada. (KoBold’s main office is in Berkeley, CA; additional offices are in Vancouver, BC, and Madison, WI.)
Applicants should send a resume to email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit www.koboldmetals.com.