Website KoBold Metals
About the company
KoBold Metals is using machine learning and other scientific computing techniques to explore for the critical materials needed to build electric vehicles and personal electronics. Many new mines will be needed if electric vehicles are to become widespread; but before new ore deposits can be mined, they have to be found. Our objective is to discover new ore deposits rich in critical battery materials. KoBold’s team combines the world’s top mineral explorers with an outstanding team of data scientists and software engineers.
Our data platform, TerraShed™, aggregates and structures vast collections of scientific data from around the world. We use the data in TerraShed™ to predict the locations of anomalies beneath the earth’s surface and to rigorously quantify how new data can decrease the uncertainty of our predictions. These models – our Machine Prospector™ software – guide our decisions of where to acquire land, what field data to collect, and where to drill to discover new ore deposits.
KoBold Metals is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Equinor.
About the position
In this role, you will help develop software to accelerate discovery of battery metals, and you will help build a worldwide geoscience data system that underlies our digital exploration program. You will join an outstanding team of data scientists and engineers and will work closely with KoBold’s world-renowned geoscientists. Ultimately, your role is to help build data tools to solve challenging scientific problems and to enable the widespread adoption of electric vehicles. As one of the early members of this team, you will help build these tools from the ground up.
The Data Engineer will:
- Help develop KoBold’s proprietary data system, TerraShed™, and modeling software, Machine Prospector™
- Design components of the data system to ingest, store, process, and access a large volume and wide variety of geoscience data for both predictive modeling and visualization
- Integrate diverse and messy geophysical, geochemical, geologic, and geographic data from around the world into a well-structured proprietary database
- Create tools for ingesting unstructured datasets and extracting key features
- Work with data scientists to implement and improve algorithms and predictive models
- Develop interactive visualizations to enable the data team and geoscience teams to rapidly view and interrogate the model results and underlying data
A great Data Engineer candidate will have skills that include:
- Proficiency in Python
- A technical stack that includes Postgres/PostGIS and Elasticsearch
- Experience storing and processing diverse datasets in both relational and no-sql architectures
- Experience with data processing technologies such as Airflow, Spark, and Dask
- Experience creating/managing large databases and pipelines
- Experience with setting up and deploying systems on AWS
A great Data Engineer candidate will also be:
- Excited to work on a wide range of problems, and to take on a wide range of responsibilities, learning new tech tools whenever needed
- Highly intellectually curious and eager to learn from technical experts who aren’t software people
- Keen not just to build products, but to figure out what product to build to best achieve the business objectives of the company
- Highly self-motivated and autonomous, able to effectively structure one’s own work, make realistic time estimates, and communicate well as one progresses
- Comfortable with a fast-changing work environment
- Careful to get the details right
It is helpful but not required to have:
- Experience with geospatial databases, analyses, and/or visualizations
- Experience with Flask or similar web frameworks
- Experience with planning and implementing information security measures
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in the physical sciences, engineering, computer science, or mathematics
Level: KoBold is willing to consider candidates at the Data Engineer, Senior Data Engineer, or Staff Data Engineer/Architect levels, with commensurate compensation. This is an individual contributor role. This position requires a minimum of 2 years of relevant full-time professional work experience; recent bachelor’s/master’s candidates are unlikely to be competitive.
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Location: Remote, within the U.S. or Canada. Candidates who have previously worked in remote roles should describe this in their cover letters. Must be authorized to work in the U.S. or Canada.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org