About UsLatinas in Tech is a non-profit organization with the mission to connect, support and empower Latina women working in technology.
Who We Are
Today, the group is comprised of more than 3,000 women, representing over 15 countries, working at more than 40 of the top technology companies. The group began in Silicon Valley in 2014 and has since then expanded to Austin, Texas, and Mexico City to connect and support the Latinas working and living in those cities.
- Where we are from: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Perú, Spain, Uruguay and Venezuela.
- Who we are: Engineers, cyber security experts, data scientists, business development leaders, public relations professionals, sales professionals, journalists, bloggers, entrepreneurs, investors, marketing professionals and recruiters.
- Where we work: Airbnb, Apple, Asana, Bumble, Cisco Networks, CNET en Español, Coursera, Dell, Dropbox, Duolingo, eBay, Electronic Arts, El País, Evernote, Facebook, Google, HomeAway, HotelTonight, IBM, Indeed, Lyft, MasterCard, Microsoft, Monster.com, Mozilla, National Instruments, Netflix, Paypal, Prezi, Salesforce, Tableau Software, Tesla, Twitter, Uber, Univision, Visa, VMWare, Yahoo, Weebly and Zendesk.
The organization operates under the umbrella of the Latino Community Foundation.
What We Do
We are focused on empowering and connecting Latinas through three key pillars:
- Professional Development: We want to help Latinas grow in their careers through hands-on training and leadership workshops.
- Recruiting: We want to connect our Latina members with job opportunities within tech companies, while serving as the bridge for tech companies that want to diversify their talent.
- Mentorship: We want to connect Latinas with mentors that can guide and help them grow throughout their professional careers.
Through out the year, we host regular Meetups at tech companies in our local chapters. We also host virtual mentoring and professional development sessions and engage in inspiring conversations LiT Slack channel, which includes women from all over the globe.
Every year, LiT celebrates our community with a full-day Summit that brings together business leaders, entrepreneurs, media and tech companies, investors and non-profits to tackle the tough conversations around diversity and inclusion, while also facilitating long-term relationships to help attendees and speakers in their professional journey.
In 2014 our Co-Founders, Gretel Perera and Rocío Medina dreamed of a group where Latinas could connect with each other, learn from each other and support each other’s professional careers. They wanted a sense of community and support that was lacking, so they created LiT.
What started as an informal gathering of friends grew organically. A couple of happy hours turned into a full fledged movement.
As the group became bigger, gatherings became more formalized. We moved from hosting at restaurants to having Meetups at some of the top tech companies in Silicon Valley.
As a result of LiT, more than 2,000 women have connected through more than 30 meetups across three cities over the past four years.
First Latinas in Tech Meetup (Redwood City, CA)
Facebook group for Silicon Valley is created
First Meetup at tech company (Google San Francisco)
Board of Directors is established
LiT Expands to Austin and Mexico City
More than 30 Meetups hosted over past four years across three cities
LiT registered as a non-profit organization under the umbrella of the Latino Community Foundation
Inaugural Latinas in Tech Silicon Valley Summit